Switch to ADA Accessible Theme Close Menu
Alimony Reform is here. Contact Us Today For Appeals and Updates
Fort Lauderdale Divorce Lawyer > Fort Lauderdale Post-Judgment Litigation Lawyer

Fort Lauderdale Post-Judgment Litigation Lawyer

Seeking another attorney when you have already won in court

Most people think that if they win their court case, that is the end of things — the judge awards the damages or orders a specific performance and then the losing party dutifully complies. Sometimes collecting or enforcing a final judgment can be this simple. Increasingly often, however, obtaining a judgment is only the halfway point to securing the compensation you are legally entitled to receive. If you are facing a difficult-to-collect judgment, an experienced Fort Lauderdale post-judgment litigation lawyer from Vanessa L. Prieto Law Offices, LLC can help you secure the compensation you deserve.

Collecting on or enforcing a judgment under Florida law

Civil damages are damages that come from civil, or noncriminal, trials. Civil debt collection can be effective when the party either has assets that can be legally seized or is attempting to protect his/her credit agency rating. Unfortunately, many times the party is “judgment proof” because he/she lacks assets or sufficient income that could be seized or paid off. A Fort Lauderdale post-judegment litigation attorney can advise you as to your best options in these difficult situations.

If the judgment you are attempting to collect originated from the family court, you may have additional options. Family courts in Florida have additional powers to compel payment of child support or spousal support. Courts can:

  • Suspend a Florida drivers license
  • Capture an IRS tax refund
  • Garnish wages
  • Capture lottery winnings of more than $600
  • Place liens against land or other property
  • Report past due payments to credit reporting agencies
  • Place a hold on a bank account
  • Recover missed payments from a bank account

How to modify a judgment in Florida

You can file a supplemental petition to modify a judgment for most civil litigation and family law matters in Florida. For instance, spousal support payments, or alimony, can be modified under Florida law but only after demonstrating a significant change to circumstances. Likewise, child support payments can be modifiable under Florida law. However, the experienced advocacy of a family attorney can again help you show that your proposed modification meets the technical requirements and is viewed as being in the best interest of your child.

Contact us today for your free Fort Lauderdale post-judgment litigation consultation

If you have questions about enforcing or modifying a court order in Broward, Miami-Dade or Palm Beach County, visit our Fort Lauderdale, Florida office. We are located close to Broward Hospital, north of Davie Boulevard, and just three blocks from the county courthouse. Call us today at 954-800-2362 or contact us online. Our office hours from Monday through Friday are 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Saturday appointments are available upon request.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn