Get Back To School Costs Covered In Your Fort Lauderdale Child Support Order
Raising children is expensive, particularly during the school year. Making sure they have the clothing and supplies they need can cost hundreds of dollars, in addition to the various other fees that arise during the school year. If you are a divorced or single parent, you should not have to shoulder the financial burden alone. Our Fort Lauderdale child support lawyer explains how to get school costs covered in a child support order.
Your Rights To Child Support In Fort Lauderdale
When relationships between parents do not work out, children are often the ones who suffer the most. In addition to the emotional toll disputes between parents take on them, they may experience financial hardships as well. One of the goals of the court is to prevent this from happening.
Under the Florida Statutes, both parents have a legal obligation to provide financially for their children. This is true whether they are single or in the process of getting a divorce in Fort Lauderdale. Child support may be issued and enforced through the Broward County Family Court and helps to ensure the child’s needs are provided for. Factors that influence the amount you may be entitled to include:
- The amount of time the child spends in each parent’s home;
- Each party’s total income and assets;
- The overall cost of providing food, clothing, housing, and other essentials for the child;
- Any special needs the child has.
In calculating the total amount you need to provide for your child, it is important to carefully consider educational expenses.
Calculating Your Child’s School-Related Costs
The goal of child support is to ensure your child is provided for financially in a manner similar to if you and the other parent were still together. In calculating the total amount needed, be sure and include school-related expenses.
In 2023, classes for children in the Broward County Schools resumed on August 21. As any parent can attest, making sure children have what they need and covering all associated educational fees is expensive. Costs to consider when calculating child support in Fort Lauderdale include:
- Clothing needed throughout the school year, including school uniforms, if required;
- Books, notebooks, and other school supplies;
- Laptops, calculators, cell phones, and other electronics;
- Any lab or activity fees;
- Sports and recreational activity expenses, including uniforms, safety equipment, and general program fees;
- Any after-school care your child requires;
- Fees for field trips and other enrichment activities;
- College preparatory testing and other fees, if needed;
- Private school tuition, in the event attending public school is not feasible.
Contact Our Fort Lauderdale Child Support Lawyer And Request A Consultation
At the law office of Vanessa L. Prieto, we provide the professional legal representation you need to get the financial support your child deserves. To protect your rights to these payments, or for help enforcing an existing order, call or contact our Fort Lauderdale child support lawyer online and request a consultation today.