Healthy Strategies For Healing From Divorce Over The Holiday Season
There is a lot of excitement and expectations surrounding the holidays. If you are going through a divorce in Fort Lauderdale, it can be difficult to summon any holiday spirit. Unfortunately, there is a tendency to overindulge as a way of comforting yourself. Our Fort Lauderdale divorce lawyer recommends healthy strategies to help you heal this holiday season instead.
What To Avoid When Dealing With A Divorce During The Holiday Season
Divorce is always difficult. Harsh words may have been spoken, your spouse may have offended or hurt you deeply with their actions, and you may be unsure of how to handle the situation when it comes to your family and friends. In dealing with your divorce during the holiday season, it is best to avoid the following:
- Discussing legal matters: Under the Florida Statutes, serious issues must be addressed in your divorce that could impact your rights regarding children and any property or assets accumulated during your marriage. When attending holiday gatherings, avoid discussing details surrounding your case.
- Gossiping about your spouse: Stay off the topic of what happened during your marriage or what your spouse is doing now. Unfortunately, gossip can make getting the best possible results in your case more challenging.
- Overindulging: There is plenty of food, alcohol, and parties throughout the holiday season. In dealing with the loss of your marriage, there may be a tendency to overindulge. Late nights, overeating, and drinking too much could take a serious toll on both your physical and mental health.
Healthy Ways of Coping With Divorce Over The Holidays
It is important to go easy on yourself when going through a divorce in Fort Lauderdale, especially when it happens during the holiday season. Acknowledge what has occurred and that this is a time of change rather than trying to make everything appear ‘normal’ or as it was in previous years.
Take extra care to protect your physical and mental health in the coming weeks. In developing a healthy strategy to get through the holiday season, Psychology Today recommends the following tips:
- Discuss what you are going through with a trusted friend, family member, or therapist.
- Eat healthy food, engage in regular exercise, and get enough sleep.
- Avoid isolating yourself from people you love.
- Plan to attend one or two events you enjoy, but avoid overcommitting yourself.
- Take a short break from thinking about any divorce-related disputes.
- Look for simple ways to celebrate the season, such as by volunteering your time at a local non-profit.
- Keep in mind this first, difficult holiday will pass, and focus on the new life you are building in the future.
Contact Our Fort Lauderdale Divorce Lawyer
Going through a divorce is never easy. At the law office of Vanessa L. Prieto, we provide the caring support and comprehensive legal service you need throughout the process. Give us a call or contact our office online and request a consultation with our Fort Lauderdale divorce lawyer today.