Switch to ADA Accessible Theme Close Menu
Alimony Reform is here. Contact Us Today For Appeals and Updates
Fort Lauderdale Divorce Lawyer > Blog > Family Law > Two Options For Modifying Fort Lauderdale Parenting Plans

Two Options For Modifying Fort Lauderdale Parenting Plans


Parenting plans in Fort Lauderdale are used in cases when parents are unmarried or are going through a divorce. They dictate each party’s rights and responsibilities regarding their child and form the basis for a final child time-sharing order.

Once a parenting plan is put in place through the Broward County Court, both parents are legally required to follow it. However, there are two options for making changes. Our Fort Lauderdale parenting plan lawyer explains more about each and what is required in requesting modifications.

When You And The Other Parent Are In Agreement To Making Changes In Your Fort Lauderdale Parenting Plan

Under the Florida Statutes, child time-sharing arrangements are generally encouraged when parents are no longer living together. This allows both to remain active and involved in the child’s life, which is typically considered to be in the child’s best interests.

Parenting plans are frequently used as part of Fort Lauderdale child time-sharing cases and allow for more personal and customized arrangements than would otherwise be available through the court. The parents negotiate, with the help of their legal representatives, to determine each party’s rights and responsibilities in regard to the following:

  • The amount of time the child spends in each home;
  • Rights to weekends and holidays;
  • Extended stays during school breaks;
  • Any child care arrangements required;
  • Transportation arrangements.

Changes can be made at any time, provided both parties agree to the terms. However, rather than just initiate changes on your own, the best way to protect everyone involved is to discuss the matter with your lawyer first. We can file an updated parenting plan with the court, avoiding any confusion or potential problems in the future.

Requesting Fort Lauderdale Parenting Plan Modifications Without The Cooperation Of The Other Parent

In some cases, disputes between parents make it harder to negotiate a parenting plan. Even once one is put in place, there are a variety of different reasons you may have for wanting changes. This is more difficult if the other parent does not agree.

Parenting plan modifications in this situation require requesting a hearing before a judge in the Broward County Court. In order to get the requested changes, you must be able to prove one of the following:

  • There has been a significant change in circumstances since the plan was first created;
  • That changes in the parenting plan are needed to protect the child’s best interests;
  • That the other parent is engaging in behavior that could put the child at risk.

Contact Our Fort Lauderdale Parenting Plan Lawyer For Help In Making Modifications

Once a Fort Lauderdale parenting plan is in place, you are required to follow it. However, you may be able to request modifications in certain circumstances.

To protect your rights while learning more about your options, request a consultation at the law office of Vanessa L. Prieto. Call or contact us online today to discuss your case with our experienced Fort Lauderdale family lawyer.





Facebook Twitter LinkedIn