Switch to ADA Accessible Theme Close Menu
Alimony Reform is here. Contact Us Today For Appeals and Updates
Fort Lauderdale Divorce Lawyer > Blog > Child Support > Five Frequently Asked Questions About Child Support

Five Frequently Asked Questions About Child Support


Child support plays a crucial role in ensuring your child’s basic living costs are met and that they have what they need to be happy and healthy. By law, parents are required to provide support for their child and we help to ensure this obligation is met. The following are frequently asked questions we hear from clients regarding their rights to child support payments.

Common FAQs About Child Support In Fort Lauderdale

Child support proceedings are dealt with in the Broward County Family Court. Common questions concerning your rights to these payments and issues that frequently come up include:

  1. Does paying child support automatically give the other parent the right to see the child?

A child support order does not automatically guarantee the paying parent the right to see the child. In order to be granted visits or overnight stays, a parenting plan needs to be put in place through the court. Under the Florida Statutes, factors the judge will consider before allowing the parent to spend time with the child include:

  • The current and prior relationship between the parent and child;
  • The parent’s ability to meet the child’s needs;
  • Their willingness to cooperate with you in carrying out parenting plans;
  • Factors such as a history of drug and alcohol abuse or criminal activity, which could put the child at risk.
  1. Do joint child time sharing payments mean I will not get child support?

In cases where the child spends equal amounts of time in each parent’s home, child support payments may still be needed. Factors that influence the judge’s decision regarding the amount include each parent’s income, their expenses, and the needs of the child.

  1. What should I do if the amount being paid is not enough?

If you feel you are not getting enough child support either due to increases in the other parent’s income or additional child care expenses that crop up, you may be able to obtain a modification of the original order.

  1. How can I get child support if the other parent quits their job?

Regardless of whether the other parent is working, they still must provide financially for their child. The judge will base this amount on their skills, work history, and prior earnings. Once the order is issued, the amount owed must be paid or the parent could face legal action.

  1. What if the other parent refuses to pay child support?

If the other parent has a past due balance and refuses to pay or stay current, your child support order can be enforced through the court and the Florida Department of Revenue. The non-paying parent can be subject to arrest, wage garnishment, seizure of tax returns, driver’s license suspension, and other actions until the debt is paid.

Contact Us Today for Help

Fort Lauderdale child support attorney Vanessa L. Prieto is a strong ally on the side of you and your children, helping to ensure you get the child support you deserve. To find out how we can assist in your case, contact our office and request a consultation today.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn