Married To A Narcissist? What To Expect During Your Fort Lauderdale Divorce
Narcissism has become a popular buzzword lately. It describes an individual with a specific type of mental health disorder that causes them to behave grandiosely and in ways that can cause major problems in their relationships. Being married to someone like this can wreak havoc in your home and cause serious issues with your own self-esteem and mental health. Our Fort Lauderdale divorce lawyer explains some of the common signs of narcissism in a spouse and what to expect if you do decide to end your marriage.
Signs Your Spouse May Be A Narcissist
The term ‘narcissism’ gets thrown around a lot lately, making it seem as if this type of personality disorder is on the rise. According to Psychology Today, the research does not actually support this claim, but there is no doubt many people exhibit what could be considered narcissistic personality traits.
Unfortunately, this can cause serious problems in close relationships and is a common contributing factor in divorce. Signs that narcissistic behavior may be an issue with your spouse include:
- They have an overinflated sense of their own importance;
- They have a strong desire to dominate others and their relationships;
- They are constantly seeking attention;
- They show a lack of empathy for others and what they are experiencing;
- They downplay problems in your relationship and gaslight you, making you think it is either all your fault or in your head;
- Nothing you do is ever good enough;
- They refuse to acknowledge they share in marital problems or may need to modify their own behavior.
Divorcing A Narcissistic Spouse
As difficult as it is to be married to someone with narcissistic behavior, it can be even more challenging dealing with them when getting a divorce in Fort Lauderdale. As a result, it is vitally important to get experienced legal representation in this situation.
Our Fort Lauderdale divorce lawyer can provide the caring support you need throughout the process while ensuring your rights regarding divorce-related matters under the Florida Statutes are protected. Behaviors you can expect from your spouse during divorce proceedings include:
- Blaming you for the breakup;
- Exaggerating the situation and their role as the victim;
- Attempting to get revenge by fiercely fighting you on matters such as property division, spousal support, and child time-sharing;
- Attempting the opposite tactic, in which they shower you with love and promises of change in an attempt to get you back;
- Refusing to appear at hearings or to comply with any final orders issued.
Get Our Fort Lauderdale Divorce Lawyer On Your Side
Divorcing a narcissist is not easy, but generally preferable to remaining in the marriage and allowing them to wreak havoc in your home and with your own mental health. As an experienced Fort Lauderdale divorce lawyer, you can count on Vanessa L. Prieto to act as a strong ally on your side and to protect your rights throughout these proceedings. To discuss your options, call or contact our office and request a confidential consultation today.