What To Expect During A Divorce Consultation
Facing unpleasant facts about your marriage and filing for a divorce is one of the most difficult decisions you will ever make. It is natural to feel apprehensive about the process and concerned about what your first steps should be. Scheduling an initial consultation with an experienced divorce attorney is an important first step. Find out some of the matters that need to be discussed, what to bring to your consultation, and the actions our Fort Lauderdale divorce lawyer can take to help in this situation.
Information To Bring To A Divorce Consultation
Scheduling a consultation with a divorce lawyer is a major step, but it is an important one in terms of making sure your rights are protected. Even if you are not 100 percent sure you want to end your marriage, take the time now to find out how the Florida Statutes apply in your case and to discuss some of the important issues you are likely to face.
Our Fort Lauderdale divorce lawyer can advise you on important divorce-related matters, such as the division of marital property and assets, your rights to spousal support, and how child time-sharing arrangements and child support are typically addressed during divorce proceedings. To better address specific issues in your case, the following are common types of information you should bring to an initial consultation:
- Copies of your marriage license, social security numbers of you and your spouse, and birth certificates for your children;
- Copies of past tax returns, bank statements, and balances for any marital debts;
- A list of all marital property you own, including homes, cars, household items, and personal belongings;
- Copies of any prenuptial agreements or other legal documents you have in place;
- Detailed notes regarding your marriage, the current circumstances, and the reasons you are considering filing for a divorce.
How Our Fort Lauderdale Divorce Lawyer Can Help You
During your initial consultation, our Fort Lauderdale divorce lawyer will explain the requirements for filing a divorce petition through the Broward County Court and cover other important information you need to be aware of. Among the ways in which we can help include:
- Explaining your general rights in divorce proceedings;
- Identifying special issues that will likely need to be addressed;
- Explaining how marital misconduct, such as adultery or addictions, and allegations of domestic violence impact your situation;
- Detailing the timelines for filing a divorce and what to expect during legal proceedings;
- Answering your questions, addressing individual concerns, and providing the caring support you need.
Contact Vanessa L. Prieto And Request A Confidential Divorce Consultation Today
As an experienced Fort Lauderdale divorce attorney, Vanessa L. Prieto provides the trusted legal guidance and professional representation you need when considering ending your marriage. We encourage you to reach out and schedule a confidential consultation to discuss some of the important issues that are likely to impact your rights, both during divorce proceedings and in the aftermath. Give us a call or contact our office online today.