Switch to ADA Accessible Theme Close Menu
Alimony Reform is here. Contact Us Today For Appeals and Updates
Fort Lauderdale Divorce Lawyer > Blog > Time-Sharing > Making Changes To Fort Lauderdale Child Time-Sharing Arrangements

Making Changes To Fort Lauderdale Child Time-Sharing Arrangements


Making sure children are provided for when parents are unmarried or going through a divorce is a top priority for the courts. Child time-sharing arrangements in Fort Lauderdale determine the rights and responsibilities of each parent and the amount of time the child spends in their home.

Careful consideration is given before a judge approves a parenting plan and issues a final order, but unexpected issues can arise. Our Fort Lauderdale child time-sharing lawyer explains how to make changes and the types of circumstances that warrant a return to court.

Issues That Often Arise In Fort Lauderdale Child Time-Sharing Cases

When a marriage breaks up or parents are otherwise not living together, the Florida Statutes generally encourage child time-sharing arrangements. Child time-sharing in Fort Lauderdale typically requires creating a parenting plan, which lists each party’s rights and responsibilities when it comes to being involved in their child’s life. This includes deciding how much time each parent has with the child during weekdays, rights to weekends, holidays, or other special occasions, extended visits during vacations or school breaks, and determining how the child will get back and forth between both homes.

Once a parenting plan is approved and a final child time-sharing order is issued, both parents are legally required to follow it. However, unexpected issues may arise that make this difficult. Examples include:

  • Changes in work schedule;
  • Changes in health;
  • Needing to relocate to another area;
  • Bad behavior on the part of the other parent;
  • Anything that puts you or the child at risk.

Requesting Child Time-Sharing Modifications In Fort Lauderdale

Failing to adhere to a child time-sharing order issued through the Broward County Court is a serious matter. In addition to fines and other penalties, it could result in the loss of your parenting rights. If you have a problem complying with the order or you have concerns about the other parent or their behavior, the best course of action is to get professional legal guidance.

In some situations, you may be entitled to request a modification of your original child time-sharing order through the family court. However, this is only an option in certain situations. For example:

  • You require changes in the parenting plan to accommodate your health, your job, or other important areas of your life;
  • The other parent is routinely late, misses visits, or otherwise refuses to comply with the original time-sharing order;
  • The other parent is engaging in dangerous behavior that puts your child at risk, such as alcohol and drug problems or criminal activity;
  • They have made threats against your safety or otherwise behave in a manner that jeopardizes you and your relationship with your child.

Discuss Your Options With Our Fort Lauderdale Child Time-Sharing Lawyer

Before making any unauthorized changes in your parenting plan, which could put your parental rights at risk, discuss your options first with Fort Lauderdale child time-sharing lawyer Vanessa L. Prieto. Call or contact us online to request a consultation today.




Facebook Twitter LinkedIn